- 3 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14-1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium chipotle plus 2 Tbs. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce)
- 2-2.5 lb. ground beef
- Sea salt
- 1 large red onion, finely diced and 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
Put one-third of the beans into the bowl of a food processor, along with the tomatoes and their juices, chipotle, and adobo sauce. Process until smooth and set aside.
Cook the beef in large pot and season with 1/2 tsp. salt. Approx. 5 minutes.
Add the onion and celery and 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown and soften, about 3 min.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chili powder, pepper, and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
Add the remaining black beans, the puréed bean mixture, and simmer for 10 min., stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If the chili is thicker than you like, it may be thinned with water.