11 years ago today(June 17) I lost my father to a sudden cardiac death. It was terrifying and horrible, and I miss him every day. Maybe that is the reason why I try so hard to get healthier, mentally and physically. I want to do all there is to do in my power to NOT have my children go through what I went through.
My dad was fairly healthy at 56years of age when he died in his sleep. He wasn’t on any medications. He didn’t smoke or drink. He was active (meaning he got up at 600am and didn’t sit down until 800pm). He had good genes- my grandparents have all lived well into their late 80’s and 90’s. In fact, my grandpa just celebrated his 93rd birthday 3 days ago.
The fact is we never know when our time is up. Live every day to the fullest. Life is so short! Tell your parents and loved ones “I love you.” You just never know what the future has in store.
It is essential to take care of your heart, your body, your mind.
Here is a list of HEART SUPERFOODS to add to your diet~
1. Dark chocolate- reduces LDL’s (bad cholesterol) and reduces blood pressure. It also increases blood flow to the brain. *Get 1 ounce daily.
2. Olive oil- boosts HDL’s (good cholesterol)
*Get 2 T a day.
3. Pomegranate- High in antioxidants, it lowers cholesterol and increases blood flow to the heart, and also decreases the growth of prostate cancer. *Get 1-2 ounces a day.
4. Avocado- Filled with heart healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats. Great source of potassium, which lowers blood pressure, decreases heart disease, and stroke. *Also protects against breast cancer.
5. Salmon- Premiere source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which the body can’t produce on it’s own. If you don’t like salmon or fish, get your Omega-3’s in fish oil, almonds, walnuts or flaxseed.
6. Beans- low in fat and high in protein, fiber, iron, potassium, and folic acid. Acts as antioxidant and protects against heart disease and cancer.
7. Pumpkin- Full of antioxidant beta-carotene, which converts to vit A. It also provides Vit C and potassium- which counteracts the effects of sodium in your diet.
8. Whole grains- prevents the cholesterol in your food from being absorbed in the bloodstream.
9. Mushrooms- 3 ounces of portabella mushrooms are equivalent to the potassium of a small banana.
10. Tea- prevents cancer, heart disease, and risks of stroke, obesity, arthritis, and diabetes.
Add cardio to your workouts. Eat right. Enjoy every day as it may be your last!
Here are some quotes I like~
The happiest of people don’t necessarily have the best
of everything they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away